This is the archive of the old Tactical Square. Click to go to the live site.
Sign in to follow this  
Overlord / INfamous

Thing that could make community bigger

Overlord / INfamous    4
Overlord / INfamous

First of all wanna say hi to everyone who's reading this. Thank you for your time and hope you will give some feedback.

Second thing, every time when I get online on any version of game, there are usually 1 server played, max 2 of them - on both versions.
So I was thinking, wouldn't community grow if we (as community) focus on 1 version only - no matter is it 3.4 or 3.5.
I know some of you like one, some of you like other, but it's a bit silly that max 100 players of this game split on 2 versions. Maybe more players would come if we got 100+ players, if we have full CTF servers, full normal servers, maybe some monster servers. This is kinda sad to see only one server, and if that server is full, you got nothing else but leave the game. I read somewhere that there are many visits on this forum (hope admin can tell us exactly number of visits each day) and download site, so there are still players who have interest in this game, at least till CPI comes out (prays for that). If you guys really want something to happen about this game, to keep it alive, something must be done. I am pretty sure that more old players would come if we got 5-6 full servers. Then it would make sense to make cups, fun wars etc.

This is only my opinion, I am hoping to hear what you guys think about this, and that you will be patient and read this a bit longer post. :P

joeycracknl    50
joeycracknl

I also never understood why most people split up over 2 versions of Tactical Ops.
If anything TO 3.5 and its newer TOST fixes allot of issues, even ingame crashes and kicks.

Heard some people say its because of ESE anti cheat, yet some server use ACE on TO v3.4
That gives people problems when they want to join a server after joining a ACE server, making them confused and perhaps think game is broken..
There are also servers with 2 versions of ACE on 3.4, making you download files incompatible to the other version.

It almost makes you think people stay away from 3.5 for its better Anti Cheat protection, and it blocks allot of .ini tweaks that apparently still work in 3.4
Imo it are the 3.4 players that are splitting up the community. Why use a older outdated version if a newer fixed version is available?

How awesome would it be if everybody would be on the same version as you said...

-edit:
Before i found out TO 3.4 required a older version of the updated OpenGL renderer to work, i allways played TO 3.5 + ESE.
Recently i play 3.4 more as it seems more people are on there. (Probably because of the hassle of installing ESE)

-edit v2:
I also think that 3.5 players will most likely not go back to 3.4
(Since 3.5 does fix allot and the newer TOST is much better)

Only way to get everybody on one version is that all 3.4 Server Admins copy their server to 3.5 and run with ESE set as not required to have, but that it is running on the server.

Edited by joeycracknl

Overlord / INfamous    4
Overlord / INfamous

Well maybe ESE can be problem, but there's no point that this small community split on half. Even bigger communities stay together. I really think if we group 100 constant players of this game, old players will come too. Or at least it will bring more fun to us. Correct me if I am wrong, but more players quit TO because community decreasing than because it's an old game.

joeycracknl    50
joeycracknl

ESE doesn't have to be a problem it can run in 2 modes:

1. All players are required to have ESE active or they get kicked.
2. Players can run ESE optionally and ingame it displays who is using it and who isn't.

Like I said before people who play TO 3.5 and use ESE will be impossible to convert to TO 3.4.(Why give up features and bug fixes)

But there is a chance that TO 3.4 players might convert TO 3.5

I'm not biased towards 3.5, its simply the most logical way imo. 

What does TO3.4 offer that TO3.5 doesn't?

TO3.5 patch change log is pretty big, and the ESE team also continue to develop TOST and also has new fixes and features.

-
Personally I don't really mind what version of TO should be the played version. I just think v3.5 would be more logical then all go back to 3.4

But I think the future of TO depends on if we can get all players together, or die a slowly split up death

Edited by joeycracknl

Overlord / INfamous    4
Overlord / INfamous

Exactly what I was thinking. I think future of TO would be way different if they shut down previous version every time they make new one. I know first time when I started playing TO multiplayer I had no idea where I should play, I saw players on every version. Maybe if we were all in one, there would come new updates etc.

I just checked spielwieseserver and here is statistics from their site:

Visitors
today:   989
yesterday:   332
total:   954744

Today they had 989 visits... Who visits site that much ? Is this real?! Where are that visitors?

Thomas    312
Thomas

Probably a lot of 'background noise'. (Crawlers, evil bots, unintended click throughs). We get it a lot as well, we just filter it from our results ;)

Most small websites see more of this type of traffic than genuine traffic.

Overlord / INfamous    4
Overlord / INfamous

Thanks for replay. And how much visits per day does this site have? Real visits ofc. :D

Thomas    312
Thomas

Visits or visitors?

kimoomik    66
kimoomik

the problem is that the most players on 3.4 and 3.5 are dont want to change the version, even im not ready to change to 3.5 
if its decided by a poll or similar

i would say he mean different visitors in other case it makes not much sense :P

Overlord / INfamous    4
Overlord / INfamous

Yeah I thought different visitors, people who are following site.
And about that, why not? It's same game, same maps same thing. Nothing would change! :)

kimoomik    66
kimoomik

its not the same play now10 min. 3.4 and then 10 min. 3.5 different gamespeed is one of the mainreasons why i dont play 3.5 its much slower

Overlord / INfamous    4
Overlord / INfamous

I know, but if you play 3.5 like few days, you would get used to it, and it would be normal to you. :D

joeycracknl    50
joeycracknl

I guess this is not something we can talk about and decide, but something the whole existing TO community that is still active needs to be in involved in.

No matter what a small group of guys choose, it needs to be a choice that everybody makes.

Its just sad that even though its player count is rising slowly, its sucks that its split up over 2 versions mainly.

Here is changelog of 3.5 patch

#Fixed:
    - hostage hit sounds
    - fly-over-objects exploits
    - ladder tops pushing players upwards
    - various No Recoil bugs
    - nades not correctly exploding when killed while trying to throw a nade
    - hovering in the air while hacking a panel
    - selling armor when dead
    - sniper Bob after selling sniper
    - hostages not being rescued when entering rescue zone
    - climbing-the-mountains exploit
    - nades position error between client / server
    - unlimited nades exploit
    - unable to throw nades after a fast weapon switch
    - illegal HUD / model kicks
    - various Accessed Nones
    - double weapon IDs
    - behindview exploits
    - dropping weapons through walls
    - crash in bot code
    - weapon firing after bomb planting
    - weapon firing in preround
    - engine bug which allowed you to get ghost cam ingame
    - infinite M4 nades exploit
    - rotated view after being killed
    - some reloading bugs
    - bomb disappearing

- unexisting knife anim
    - weird letters in player name making it impossible to join IRC
    - double preround in practice session
    - several security problems
    - various buy system exploits
    - little aim error problems in water
    - Water floating in the wrong direction in some maps when playing as client
    - hacking/defusing causes nade to unprime
    - client server de-sync when crouching on sloped surfaces (e.g. scope bunker area)
    - zoomed crosshair drawn incorrectly
    - bug in client side move calculations
    - mesh drawn at the wrong location when swimming
    - hostage taunts for players
    - knife not properly hitting when it should
    - “say äüöß” etc. chars on Linux servers
    - bots leaving the game with the C4
    - extremely high throwing knife damage bug in water
    - spectators not seeing death messages
    - sniper accuracy bug when jumping
    - idle manager
    - dark skin underwater after firing an auto weapon
    - some swimming exploits
    - walking out of buy zone in preround
    - "say ;text" not working
    - smoke nades blocking movers (icy elevator)
    - scoreboard and buymenu broken after failed connect from ingame
    - crouching stairs up/down
    - GUI and menus being active at the same time
    - zoom in free cam after switching from a zooming player
    - game info not being updated properly
    - some zoom problem with weapons dropped by somebody who was sniping while being killed
    - nade hits causing FF even if it is disabled
    - name of the person being specated was not being shown
    - C4 being undefusable when a dead body is on top
    - selling not full clips giving too much money
    - shotgun anims not playing properly
    - M4M grenades not being destroyed after round end
    - "Walk" exploits
    - blood in preround
    - viewtarget change after death although a proper viewtarget had already been set
    - hitlocation when drowning
    - demorec not working properly when not using stopdemo
    - various menu stuff overlaying the team select menu
    - blood going through walls
    - nickname change in IRC not being recognized by the browser
    - knife slash sound not being played at the right time
    - laser dot size bug
    - hostages not having hitzones
    - no hitboxes with throwing knifes
    - spectator cam staying after the death of the pawn being spectated
    - buyzone desync between client and server
    - various action menu bugs
    - being flashed through movers (doors)
    - concussion particles not being destroyed in preround
    - missing ":" in TOIRC

#Changed:
    - longer able to address hostages through walls
    - now you can look around in preround
    - replaced Fire, AltFire and Crouch functions
    - no weapon pickup when full ammo
    - removed bogus UT commands
    - reduced traffic by 10%-40%
    - reduced server load by 10-25%
    - reduced server load during shooting by ~80%
    - reduced the serverload caused by spectators and dead players
    - removed "one hitbox fits all" code, added more realistic hitzones
    - fixed knife hitzones
    - double binds are now limited by TO
    - hack / defuse is now serverside
    - SaveConfig does not have an instant effect anymore to prevent lag scripts
    - console does not auto scroll down anymore, supports colors and shows the IP of the current server in the title
    - when throwing a nade and quickly changing team you won't damage your ex-team-mates anymore
    - random team is now really random
    - binocs mass
    - default IRC server
    - now you can’t stand up anymore when your collision cylinder would expand into someone else's and would kill him
    - when nades hit a window and don’t have enough pressure to destroy it they now bounce back
    - MinMoney is now -9999
    - laserdot and flashlight are now predicted clientside to save network bandwidth
    - eyehight is now more realistic when swimming
    - TO will not spawn too many smoke particles when there are already enough
    - taunts are only locally executed when playing active
    - no talk anim in water
    - removed extended TO banlist (TOST now handles this)
    - model selection screen now remembers last used model
    - display teamnames instead of numbers in the serverbrowser
    - when weapon is in zoom mode and you activate the scoreboard, you will now still see the weapon scope
    - it's now possible to change teams more than one time per round if you are admin
    - TO will not spawn too many blood drops anymore
    - eyeheight is now no longer reduced during shooting (removed viewshake)
    - now you get a refund for your weapons if you change team in preround
    - the buymenu now disappears when walking out of the buyzone
    - slash sound is now played when the actual hit check is done
    - no team selection when playing demos
    - spectating is now less laggy
    - increased msg price by 500$
    - topics are now shown in TO IRC

#Added:
    - one easteregg ( one thing that didn't make in the retail version )
    - ServerIPToClipboard command
    - Built in support for colored crosshairs
    - remember laser on/off for M16 / DE (optional)
    - ignore all / none
    - TO_Mutator class
    - TO_Mover class
    - custom message box on connection failure
    - switch for hitflashes
    - improved spectator say command
    - ServerQuality command to check for high server cpu load / tickrate
    - better HUD tab in preferences
    - netspeed for each player is now in the HUD
    - new better buycommands
    - switchfiremode command
    - option for auto teaminfo
    - TOScreenshot function with brightness and flush option
    - hud info for firemode
    - Option to display rounds played instead of time for players in the scoreboard
    - notification when using an invalid ID with ignore
    - option to disable objectives on connect
    - new OpenGL renderer
    - F6 now aborts server pinging
    - a powerful server filter
    - optional coloring for good / passworded servers
    - display admin say in the console
    - idle manager timeout can now be configured
    - show who threw a grenade
    - "FixGUI" command
    - Whisper, WhisperTalk, Echo and QuickConsole commands
    - timestamps for TO IRC

Overlord / INfamous    4
Overlord / INfamous

All I wanted to say and discus. I am not able and won't transfer all 3.4 community on 3.5, was just typing what's on my mind, and what I PERSONALLY think would improve community, or keep it alive, nothing else. :)

joeycracknl    50
joeycracknl

Well what ever way this is going today i talked to floid and he will become co owner or admin of the Tactical Ops YouTube channel and will be able to upload videos.

Really hoping that the channel will slowly grow and appear on more places on YouTube. Reached 34 Subscribers so far so that is kinda nice.

Also the view counter, not unique visitors of tacticalops.tk reached nearly 2000, has to be at least 250 unique visitors since +-5 Jan. 2016.

I also think that most "new' players who download "my" version or other version of TO will most likely start 3.5 and experience errors for not having ESE installed and configured and then end up on 3.4 ^^

It seems 3.4 sees the most growth the last few months/weeks. My fortune glass sphere says even though 3.5 is probably the "best" version, TO 3.4 will probably live the longest

Edit: I think my last post was "translated" a bit wrong. I meant that even though if 10 "core" TO guys would decide on a version, everybody would has to stand behind it somehow. Unite for the greater good of TO.

Edited by joeycracknl

ZEE.WONK    133
ZEE.WONK

Last time i upgraded to 3.5 i had some weird green lines crossing all over the screen,(unplayable) So sticked to 3.4.

However a few years ago Sector 28 was always full(De+Msg)
Personally i rather play De+Msg then standard settings.

*Some good sniper maps.

*Smiley for all mutator.(might have the fixed version by Neo_b on a disc)

*Sound mutator.

But think it will be hard to get older players back, They left for a reason.

And newer games do have better graphic :P

Overlord / INfamous    4
Overlord / INfamous

Older players left cause community did get smaller and smaller every day. I personally quit cause that. When I started playing TO there was 700+ players and when I left there was around 40. I am sure many younger players won't start TO, why would they, but "old school" players will. Personally I hate new "pay to win" and any sort of games where you pay to be or look better. I just love pure skill games, and I think that's why we all play TO. Sure, we can find and play better graphic games, but there's something that TO has, and newer games don't. But lack of players really destroys that feeling...

joeycracknl    50
joeycracknl

What I think that has people coming back is nostalgia at least for me it is :)

If you show TO to a guy who has never played it he will just think what kind of ugly counter-strike clone is that.

But the people who played it in the past usually have great memories of the game. Years of fun they had as a younger kid.

It are those guys we need to reach somehow, after realizing people probably will search Tactical Ops faster on YouTube then on Google I created the channel to reach more people on there.

kimoomik    66
kimoomik

last time i played with a guy a few rounds to and then cs 1.6 he only played css and cs go, he said to is better as all cs versions and i even can say 1.6 sucked really hard

all what we need is an old to, with new graphics...

joeycracknl    50
joeycracknl

If only TO community was still as active as CS1.6 community we all jumping out of happiness :D

There are still 28729 people playing counter-strike 1.6 at this moment.

If only GameSpy still continued its services we'd be far better off ^^

Overlord / INfamous    4
Overlord / INfamous

If we had one version we'd be far better off ^^ GameSpy services is kinda solved, we got servers back on some other way. And about cs1.6 - it obviously is better, when that many players rather stick there, not on TO. Without doubt TO is better for us, but it wasn't for main gaming scene. TO was never supported as CS, we had no professional players or cups, this was just fun based game for many players, maybe if Atari back then gave us better support and updates... who knows, but like this, we are just keeping dead thing alive. And it's getting harder and harder ^^

joeycracknl    50
joeycracknl

What I meant more was that the death of GameSpy truly made a massive dent in the TO playerbase.

Since that moment allot of people probably writed the game off as dead and may have never looked back upon it.

Even I myself didn't knew at first that there were Alternative master servers.

Then when you installed TO 3.4 you would get kicked from every server, back then I couldn't find anywhere that you needed a older version of the newer updated OpenGL renderer.

TO 3.5 with its limited non-ESE servers probably "scared" allot of others away.

Then when you'd finally get the game running the player movement and gameplay would be all weird, slowing down and going faster etc. Turned out this could all simply be fixed by limiting the FPS.(And the extra footstep sounds when online without limit)

-

For a long time it was a long road with many potholes to get TO properly working and play online.

It's up to us to somehow reach out to the lost players and let them know how easy it is to install TO these days and how its slowly growing lately.

Edited by joeycracknl

Thomas    312
Thomas

On a side note, we have a wiki section now you can use to write articles on these subjects (e.g. how to install TO) in a collaborative fashion. The wiki section works the same as you'd expect from any wiki, anybody can contribute by creating and editing existing articles. :)

sp33dCore    16
sp33dCore
On 2/11/2016 at 2:29 PM, Overlord / INfamous said:

First of all wanna say hi to everyone who's reading this. Thank you for your time and hope you will give some feedback.

Second thing, every time when I get online on any version of game, there are usually 1 server played, max 2 of them - on both versions.
So I was thinking, wouldn't community grow if we (as community) focus on 1 version only - no matter is it 3.4 or 3.5.
I know some of you like one, some of you like other, but it's a bit silly that max 100 players of this game split on 2 versions. Maybe more players would come if we got 100+ players, if we have full CTF servers, full normal servers, maybe some monster servers. This is kinda sad to see only one server, and if that server is full, you got nothing else but leave the game. I read somewhere that there are many visits on this forum (hope admin can tell us exactly number of visits each day) and download site, so there are still players who have interest in this game, at least till CPI comes out (prays for that). If you guys really want something to happen about this game, to keep it alive, something must be done. I am pretty sure that more old players would come if we got 5-6 full servers. Then it would make sense to make cups, fun wars etc.

This is only my opinion, I am hoping to hear what you guys think about this, and that you will be patient and read this a bit longer post. :P

move to cs:go

period.

fag.

kidding @ kissssssssssss

Overlord / INfamous    4
Overlord / INfamous
1 hour ago, sp33dCore said:

move to cs:go

period.

fag.

kidding @ kissssssssssss

Wanna buy me one? :D I was thinking to start playing it, but idk... I am now at Lol mostly. Don't really have that much time from studying, college and that things. Have to learn programming so one day I can make new TO ^^

Sign in to follow this