This is the archive of the old Tactical Square. Click to go to the live site.
Sign in to follow this  
Overlord / INfamous

Thing that could make community bigger

joeycracknl    50
joeycracknl

I think the RCAM_UT04 V1.9D.rar is for UT2004 :P

Edited by joeycracknl

joeycracknl    50
joeycracknl
33 minutes ago, ZEE.WONK said:

RCam_UT04 v1.9D.rar RypelCam _ut99v12.rar

Says ut99 :P And ut99 stuff should work with tactical ops.

Best off to use Ut99 v1.2, As v1.9D is "RypelCAm - V1.9D, a Moviemaking Tool for UT2004"

Ill give it a try this weekend, sadly i dont have no .demo files, only about 150GB of TO footage lol.

kimoomik    66
kimoomik

i even never used rypalcam, i always recorded with fraps, but i got a normal demo from nay of last nights 
just use demorec NAME and stopdemo with demoplay NAME u can watch ur demos,this works with every unmodded to

2016.dem

joeycracknl    50
joeycracknl

I wish Shadowplay would work for recording TO, with its H264 encoder is so much more efficient then Fraps.

Still gotta try out that Bandicam, they say it also works on OpenGL games.

kimoomik    66
kimoomik

i already tried bandicam cause this pc which i use atm have only a onboardgraphic and my fps goes down while recording, but was not really better with bandicam, need same resources i think
i even had anydemo manger which should work on 20-30 games, even on to, but didnt worked for me,i forgot the name of this program

btw can u watch the demo normal? or its all the time to slow or too fast? maybe its cause i have no fps limit, anyway demos i can watch my demos decent, only slower when i open the scoreboard

Edited by kimoomik

joeycracknl    50
joeycracknl

If i watch it back it has normall speed with capped fps limit @ 100

If i remove limit game logic accelerates and you get that example as that video i made a while back 

Beware though, with no fps limit the onlibe multiplayer also suffers from irregular mouse tracking and you generate extra footstep sounds that only u hear.

Quitre funny how fast it can go lol

60 seconds ingame in 5real life seconds lol

kimoomik    66
kimoomik

afried from me even had this insane gamespeed, but used same settings like myself, later we found a solution, any changed renderer or win xp mode/admin rights fixed this for him ^^ think he used direct3d idk anymore and which laptop he had etc. and cant ask, hes in the prison :P
btw when u want to show it use godmode
as first enter "iamtheone" and then "godmode" if i remember me right, when ure interessted in this just google

joeycracknl    50
joeycracknl

Spoiler

Any volunteers to test a new version of the Tactical Ops v3.4 + v3.5 Download? 

So far tested out TO 3.4 on ACE and TOST servers, working perfectly.
Might have to test TO3.5 ESE later on.

Below is list of ''features'' and all text is new in this version:

TO:AOT v3.4
- Real fixed server browser with no broken GameSpy double
- OpenGL Renderer v3.5
- SwapInterval set 0 for better mouse tracking
- 100FPS frame limit to stabilze game speed + mouse tracking
- Anisotropic Filtering set to 16x (Anti Aliasing disabled)
- SuperTeam Keybinder v1.4
- Custom .bat shortcut that launches with CPU Affinity to 1 core to stabilze the engine + mouse tracking
- Game directory folder have been merged (Example; both system folders)
- All fixes also applied to Default.ini and DefUser.ini, so fixes stick if you want a fresh config

TO:AoT v3.5
- Real Fixed Server Browser with no broken GameSpy double
- OpenGL Renderer from v3.5 Community Patch (Also includes ESE Renderer + ESE Setup)
- SwapInterval set 0 for better mouse tracking
- 100FPS frame limit to stabilze game speed + mouse tracking
- Anisotropic Filtering set to 16x (Anti Aliasing disabled)
- SuperTeam Keybinder v1.5
- Custom .bat shortcut that launches with CPU Affinity to 1 core to stabilze game speed + mouse tracking
- Game directory folder have been merged (Example; both system folders)
- All fixes also applied to Default.ini and DefUser.ini, so fixes stick if you want a fresh config

All in a 323MB large 7-Zip file that extracts to 1.25GB folder.

https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0B6eENJfjixsNMVpiQWtzR2NVYTQ&export=download

Example of the server browser without double broken GameSpy list:

serverlist.png

What do you guys think about the idea of forcing 2x AA Anti Aliasing by default?
It is 2016 and 2x AA isnt that heavy, i used it myself on a old Intel Integrated GPU Once.

It does improve the image quality rather nice by making the picture nice and smooth (but not blurry)

I have edited my post, asked if ppl wanted to test a new version of my TO 3.4 + TO 3.5 package.

Already found some ''bugs'' fixed it all, working perfectlly and uploading to all cloud sites and soon here too.

Edited by joeycracknl
typo's

Overlord / INfamous    4
Overlord / INfamous

What did you change at downloads, and what bugs did you fix? I could test it in a week or so, busy atm.

joeycracknl    50
joeycracknl

Spend some time lately on polishing the YouTube channel header and video image previews.

Even managed to attract a totally new first time Tactical Ops player, i dont even know how he ended up on the channel but i like it lol.

Screen: http://goo.gl/qmxbN3

Other strange comments:

Developer of TOST Plugins http://goo.gl/hStEqz

Map Creater of TO Maps in CS1.6 http://goo.gl/rDNVee

No more need for testing i think so far the TO 3.4+3.5 combo package is in perfect working order, gone thru quite some changes over time.

Is one thing that could be tested though, i made a dedicated server package for TO 3.4, with TOST that displays no more outdated message, AIM-IT AoT-X and AIM-IT 2on2 Mappacks combined with the free Redirect Server so Map and File downloads are very fast.

It also seems if you want to record in 60fps in TO3.4 you have to use OpenGL Renderer v3.4 and not v3.5 as posted on this site. Otherwise your FPS is somehow lowered to 35fps in a 60fps recording. When using this renderer beware to set a fps limit with FrameLimit setting or game behaves strange.

Edited by joeycracknl

kimoomik    66
kimoomik

@KorteZZ is even here in the forum joey 
btw u already have a ctf gameplay? if not i had luck in any of last days, there was playing a few guys ctf ^^

Overlord / INfamous    4
Overlord / INfamous

I think you should not give 3.5 download. Or maybe put READ ME where you'll say that 3.4 is way more active. We don't want new players on 3.5. F**k them ^^ 

joeycracknl    50
joeycracknl

@kimoomik

If you have some CTF gameplay id happily put it on the YouTube channel.

Can do it 2 ways, either i make your Google Account a manager on the channel, or you upload it somewhere and i download and upload it too YouTube.

@Overlord / INfamous

Been thinking about including a readme, or state on website its best to start on TOv3.4

I dont think i remove TO v3.5 from download yet, perhaps in the future if v3.4 keeps growing more then v3.5

Edit:

V3.5 also included since you dont install TO from setup.exe it misses the registry files to update from v3.4 to v3.5

Also with 7-Zip it only adds around 20mb to include full to 3.4 and 3.5 in a 323MB file since 90% of file are identical, with Zip its about 720MB

Edited by joeycracknl

Overlord / INfamous    4
Overlord / INfamous

@joeycracknl

You should put a readme file that you recommend 3.4 and link to this website. Also what you think about non gameplay video, thing we talked before. Are you willing to make some teaser or anything like that? If it won't get us more players, at least it will be nice thing to have on Youtube channel, at least for archive. I am willing to help with that.

joeycracknl    50
joeycracknl

Well so far i have put this text under every video:
Tactical Ops: Assault on Terror Multiplayer is still online and active in 2016. Check http://tacticalops.tk for a fixed and updated download and links to other sites and communities. Please like, share, comment or subscribe to help keep Tactical Ops alive.

On the site i have big menu button Community Links with links to:
GameTracker Servers, Tactical Square, STO Gaming, Live Community, Nacht Community, Team Bielefeld, Polish Community, Spielwiese Community, Latino Community, ESE Support, Game Database, b33franch, Linux Project, ST Keybinder Team, AIM-IT Mappack Team, SP Mod Team, Tactical Ops 2.2 Archive, Crossfire UT2004 Mod, Fan Site

Perhaps i should change the YouTube Video Description to this?

Tactical Ops: Assault on Terror Multiplayer is still online and active in 2016. Check http://tacticalops.tk or https://tacticalsquare.com for a fixed and updated download and links to other sites and communities. Please like, share, comment or subscribe to help keep Tactical Ops alive.

Reason i only had tacticalops.tk in video description is i wanted people to be one mouse click away from a clear TO Download Page, but since i decided to post links to dropbox under each video i dont think its needed anymore.

Edited by joeycracknl

joeycracknl    50
joeycracknl

Ok nice, will take a look at it, will probably only be able to record near saturday.

Will make a seperate TO install and test all available UT99 and TO demo playback tools.

Gives me the idea i perhaps make a thread in future where people can submit .demo files and ill upload them ^^

Edited by joeycracknl

joeycracknl    50
joeycracknl

I am working on a little highlights video here but i need your guys opinion.

Currently the video is unlisted, but i dont know if i should make it final.

- What do you guys think about the music? (Because of current music there is floating add you can click away)
- Have music recommendations? 
- Should i remove the swimming parts?
I also forgot to add 2x trooper footage about 2x15-20secs so also a reason to redo it. (But could also be added to next one)

Its not a skill show off video, i just tried to make the best with the footage i got from the 10x gameplay video i uploaded.

Its basically a commercial to get people back into TO and download the game, or new players to find it :P

Edited by joeycracknl

$inergy    19
$inergy

Hello

I've read the beginning of this thread with great interest and started browsing through the responses. I understand that you want to make this game popular once again, which I believe is a very good cause, however there are a few things that need some extra thought. I'll try to keep it short, but it will probably end up in a very long text, so please bare with me.

Who am I and what's my experience with TO?
I used to play TO 10 years ago and thought this was (and still is)  one of the best games ever, I experienced the transition from 3.4 to 3.5 and changed  to 3.5 as almost everyone else did back in the day. Ofcourse life changes, you grow older, become more interested in girls, go out, study, travel around the world, start working ... so you stop playing the game you've invested so many hours in. Unfortunately the entire community was ageing and started to drop out, gamespy stopped hosting... and this is where we are at now.

Because I'm writing this post, you should have already  guessed that somehow I've got hooked to the game once again (since February). Luckily there are still some die hard fans who keep this game alive and encourage me to get integrated into the community. In the following paragraphs I would like to unfold some problems I've encountered when reinstalling the game, I'll try to shed a light on the things that have changed and how you/we could make the game popular again (in my humble opinion).

Problems when installing the game for the first time
- It took me a while to find a good, clean TO version, which was easy to install without any fuss. There are many sources online, which offer a version of TO (different websites, the official website, torrentz ....) If you finally have the luck of finding a good version, they still have to be patched. At that point it's not clear which patches have to be installed.

- If you have the luck of installing everything correctly you encounter another difficulty. You have to change the INI-files yourself to make the gamesnetwork available in the game itself. (gamespy has to be changed to 333networks somehow) Information about this specific part is scarce, especially when the provided information doesn't seem to do the job. 

- In the end I found the tacticalops.tk website with everything you need. Thank god, what a relief! DOWNLOAD -> UNZIP -> PLAY

To get more players to the game it's important that 'tacticalops.tk' gets more widely spread. It should be said that it's as easy as download, unzip, play. People give up easily when things don't work out immediately, especially when it's about an old game. Things have to work from the start!

What happens after you installed the game?
As you've already mentioned in earlier posts, TO is split up in version 3.4 and 3.5, so which game are you going to play? Obviously everyone chooses to play the newest version first (it's just common sense). Once again here you have to take another hurdle.

1) At the time I started, there was only 1 active non-ESE server online. It's an Israeli server which kickbanned me because of my average ping (or at least that's what I think), they never gave me a reason. This is ofcourse very bad PR.

2) Ofcourse you can play an ESE-server, but once again you have to install a new program. And let's be honoust, if you've already had so much trouble with installing the game, and they ask you to install another program which requires a registration, you are getting fed up with it. What's more, it seemed at the time there was some maintenance going on, which made it impossible to install (it even lasted for a few days). Up to this point I haven't tried to install ESE again.

3) This made me try version 3.4, no registration required, immediate action! Perfect!

What has changed?
I'll try to enumerate some things that have changed since I stopped playing the game. All of the enlisted items are (in my opinion) items that made the game interesting and fun besides the game itself.

- clanbase ==> (a major let down for the games community), this is what made the game competitive. At this point there is no good alternative.
- mIRC  ==> players need to get in touch without being in the game itself. It allows you to arrange a game, get to know eachother, be a family. mIRC is ideal because your identity can remain hidden if wanted + communication happens instantly (this in contrast with shoutboxes on many websites)  + maybe people will get more involved than on a websiteforum.
- version 3.4 is great because of the ease of playing, however it lacks anti-cheat like ESE. This is an issue that needs to be fixed. A game full of cheaters will never work. It discourages the honoust players, and at this stage you cannot afford more players to drop out of the game. 

What are the assets of tactical ops compared to other games?
simple:  GAMEPLAY!
In my opinion there is no other game that offers the same feeling as TO does.

+ The game is FREE (important for many younger players!)

+ TO used to be in the top 10 of most online played games

+ a great (however at this point, small) community

What needs to be done to make the game popular again?
-
Spread the 'tacticalops.tk' link as much as possible (especially via facebook and gamefora). Convince people that this game is better than counterstrike (which is not a lie ofcouse). There is even a 'former tactical ops' group on facebook, use this to make people hot for this game again.

- Younger players probably have never heard of this game. So make the game known to a younger crowd. Highlight the fact that this game is free!

- Provide all information: make sure that people are aware of the fact that this, in it's core, is an online FPS-shooter only. Let's be honoust, the singleplayer version is complete crap, so players have to know they have to go online. (stupid as this information might sound)

- Don't wast time on creating videos.
         A) people don't know the game, and graphics are not a convincer
        B ) TO is all about experiencing the gameplay. Watching a video doesn't transfer this feeling properly.
         C) An ingame video is not a teaser. It only appeals TO-players.

- I think it's a good thing that all information is getting centralised. Keep it going!
- a new clanbase-like website has to be developed. (for TO only, will be good, it doesn't have to be as elaborate as the original version)

- I agree that the community should stick to just one version: 
        A) switching all 3.4 players to 3.5 would be logic, but the fuss about ESE might scare people.
       B ) Only provide one version to the new players. If it is version 3.5, warn them they have to register for an ESE account. 

Summary

To make the game popular again we have to focus on the assets of TO (gameplay, the fact that it's free) + use the right media to attract new people. Which imho at this point is not the case (yet?)

I hope that what I've just written down, helps you to decide which steps need to be taken to make TO a great game again. I'm sorry it became such a long post.

$inergy

Edited by $inergy

joeycracknl    50
joeycracknl

Fully read your post and agree with allot of things you said.

I am the creater of tacticalops.tk, i made it since i knew there had to be a clean, one page detailed download website, with a simple download unzip and play version.

Many people cant be bothered how to install TO or dont have the knowledge how to fix it, and have potentiality given up and never looked back.

After i started the TO YouTube the tacticalops.tk view count went from 500month to nearly 1000 a month.(Site was allready online nearly a year before i started the youtube)

Example: I can play for 60minutes and have 1 player slot on a moment on a server, i record and put in on youtube and there are people who will find it and watch it. (So in a way it helps quitte a bit)

People tend to search their childhood funs and games on YouTube, i know all footage i have is quite standard,  the idea is if one search "Tactical Ops"on youtube 50% chance he ends on my videos, see how people still play it, where you can download it and proof the download works with the video.

Also i agree that in theory it would be better if al TO players on one version, sadly that would be near impossible to achieve.

Eventhough i myself mostly play TO 3.4, TO 3.5 is the technically better version, witb the ESE renderer being a advanced OpenGL renderer v3.7, various bug fixes from TO3.5 patch and ESE anti cheat.

(Renderer on this site is v3.2, yet TO v3.4 accepts Renderer v3.5 as max that i offer in TO v3.4 in the TOv3.4+3.5 Download.

Also about the youtube, im still looking for Managers who like to contribute to it if you want too. (You can upload videos yourself to the channel)

$inergy    19
$inergy

I have to review my opinion about whether the videos work or not. I have to agree that the videos you made, reflect on how the game works and might attract new players. However, I do believe that 1 or 2 videos are probably enough. Maybe you should add  a bombing dust / Italy / aztec into the videos as well, which might attract counterstrike players.

On the issue of version 3.4 vs 3.5, what's the general opinion from the 3.4 group on making a switch to 3.5? I have the impression that many players don't react or get involved on this forum, which will make it very hard indeed to tackle this problem.

That being said, I hope you haven't missed the point on how to 'market' this game. Has anyone got some suggestions about which websites would be good to start spreading the word?

joeycracknl    50
joeycracknl

I dont know a better way to market this game then YouTube, when i with a friend created a Battlefield 4 Clan/Platoon we grew to 140guys, played Clan Wars, Practice Wars, ESL Games and some Tourneys so i made a YouTube account to archive everything.

After a year i barely had 3000views and 24subscribers on a hyped active game with a 130ppl group nobody bothered. The Tactical Ops Channel has 45 subscribers and 3000+ views in 6 months allready. I had comments from old players, tost plugin developer, new players etc so people are finding it.

I also made those weird TO Maps in Cs1.6 and Cs1.6 maps in TO videos to try attract some ppl on counterstrike keywords. Most of times i play cs1.6 i play with TacticalOps.tk as name :P

I guess there are more ways to connect to people perhaps on Facebook or othersocial media websites and i think it would help TO greatly. Allthough i think most older or ex-players probably dont search game related stuff on their personal Facebook. Therefor i chose the tacticalops.tk + youtube way, also have the download added to the download database here.

Atm here 2 other groups spreading TO, first is luk144pl with website and youtube, sadly he floods his youtube with 3-4video a day, 30min generic gameplay and mixed with 3-4 games.(Appreciate his effort allot, but dont think he is doing the right way, my channel has nearly same subscriber ammount in 1/4 the time.)

Second is TO Latino Community, have website, facebook and youtube videos, sadly their TO install is broken in some ways and you cant even change resolution.

-

I think TO 3.4 players see it as the original official version the one thats more accessible to players.
TO v3.5 players probably only play it for the better anti cheat system i think, perhaps not the bugfixes as reason.

(There was a time i played TO 3.5 only with the ESE renderers. I could see TO 3.4 servers but get kicked for not having the "Updated OpenGL renderer, so the please update message appeared" Nobody ever told that you needed a newer, but not newest version lol, took me long to find out v3.7 and v3.6 of renderer incompatible)

edit:
I took the Highlights video offline, added a few clips, trimmed a few clips and tried to match gameplay better to music.
Still not great, but i wanted to get it done by the end of this weekend. Will take suggestions for music on #2 :P

Edited by joeycracknl

$inergy    19
$inergy

i was wondering if some games' websites / games' magazines would be interested in writing a story about our struggle to revive an old game...
Maybe we could give that a shot?

Sign in to follow this