About This File
Important Settings to tweak to User Preference !
- DirectInput is enabled by default for optimal mouse tracking. this however activates the ALT+TAB Crosshair and Buyscreen Bugs. To disable it go to the Mouse Settings.
To get ''better'' mouse tracking without DirectInput, use the MarkC Mouse Fix, its included in the Extra Folder, Check the Readme for Information
- Surround Sound and 3D Surround are disabled by default, tweak these to user preference in the Audio Settings
- Most Competitive Players will lower or disable View Bob and set the Music Volume to 0%. Also the brightness higher the brightness to increase visibility of enemies.
Installation and Starting
Extract either Zip or 7-Zip version with 7-Zip or WinZip etc, If you get errors when extracting make sure try the latest version of 7-Zip. It extracts to a 1.25GB Tactical Ops folder.
Start the Tactical Ops Quick Join and select a server you wish to join, or start the either TO340 or TO350 manualy with Menu > Launch Tactical Ops 3.4 or Launch Tactical Ops 3.5.
* When using W7/W8 you need the Microsoft .NET Framework v4 installed for the TO Quick Join Tool (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17851)
* Keep attention to that joining a TO 3.5 Server will require you to have ESE Installed and configured Properly.
* For TO 3.5 ESE make sure Tactical Ops is not installed into example "C:/Users/", like Documents, Downloads or your Desktop.
A Perfect install directory would be something like "C:/Tactical Ops" or "C:/Games/Tactical Ops" (Or Other Drives)
Intel HD Graphics and TO
On some computers with Intel HD Graphics you might get a black screen when trying to start TO. (Tested on vanilla 3.4 install and this version)
This might depend on the model number and graphics driver used. It could help searching for a updated driver on Intel's website or your motherboard manufacturer.
A Work around is pressing F12 on startup to minimize TO, then you can make it full screen again and play the game. This has to be done every time on startup.
Which TO version to play?
In v3.4 you can join all servers without problems as all files will be downloaded automatically. (After joining a v3.4 ACE server, make sure to restart TO to join servers without ACE)
TO join 95% of all v3.5 servers you will need to install and configure the ESE Anti Cheat Client properly or you will get kicked from nearly all servers.
* As of 2016 it seems TO 3.4 has a larger community then 3.5, if all servers are empty check on a later time.
Check the Common Issues Wiki for Help and Information:
Fixed Server Browser + Multplayer
Since the GameSpy shutdown the Tactical Ops server browser stopped working. By using 3 alternative Master Servers they now display servers again. Also the server list only displays servers of a compatible version instead of a mixed server list.
Fixed Game Speed and Mouse Input
By default the game would run at such a high and inconsistent framerate it resulted in speed up and slow down gameplay combined with irregular mouse tracking. By limiting the game to 100fps this has been fixed, SwapInterval is set to 0 to also improve the delay of the mouse. (Perhaps some of these fixes are placebo, but they are all known fixes to fix UT99/TO Mouse input)
Fixed OpenGL Renderers
TO v3.4 has OpenGL Renderer v3.5 that works on all servers. Newer Renderers have been released but are not compatible with multiplayer servers on both versions. TO v3.5 has an older OpenGL Renderer released with the v3.5 Community Patch since that lets you join all servers except the ones that require the ESE Anti Cheat Client installed and activated. For ESE Servers in v3.5 you will need to have installed the ESE Renderers from the ESE Account Manager.
Included are SuperTeam Keybinder v1.4 for TO v3.4 and v1.5 for TO v3.5. These can be launched ingame from the main menu and is a tool that lets you bind various game commands to buttons of your choice. Very useful tool and a must have for every player.
The TO 3.5 is ESE compatible
Run the ESESetup.exe in the /Extra/ Folder for the ESE Account Manager. Once you have a ESE account and the keyfile placed into the TO350/System folder, have installed the ESE Client and the Renderers from the Account Manager you should be able to join all TO v3.5 ESE Servers. Just make sure you select the TO350/System/TacticalOps.exe and not the Tactical Ops Quick Join.exe as the install location. As noted above in the "Installation" part you need to have your Tactical Ops folder located on a directory that is compatible with ESE, it will give a error message when its not.
Complete list of changes made since Original Install
Both TO 3.4 and TO 3.5
- Deleted Outdated Video Renderers (Direct3D, Glide and Metal)
- Deleted Outdated old Audio Renderer (SGL, left the Galaxy Renderer, still can be enabled in TacticalOps.ini)
- TacticalOps.ini cleaned from data of removed Audio and Video Renderers (Direct3D, Glide and Metal, SGL, XDriver and GenericAudioSubSystem)
- Deleted Unused files from original installer (Setup.exe, Setup.int and Manifest.cfg)
- Deleted Unused Language Files in System Folder (*.det, *.est, *.frt and *.itt)
- Deleted Unused Server files (/Web/ and System/TacticalOpsWinServer.bat and UCC.exe)
- Fixed Server Browser (TacticalOps.ini, TOSystem.int and UBrowser.int)
- Merged Sub folders from /TacticalOps/ with the main folders.
- Set FrameLimit to 100, Set SwapInterval to 0
- Set Ansitropic Filtering to 16x by default
- Set Default Resolution to 1024x768 32bits
- Disabled Mouse Smoothing
- Enabled DirectInput
- Brightness @ 50%
- Audio, Music and Announcer Volume @ 50%
- View Bobbing 50% (10% lower as default)
- Disabled Auto Weapon Reload
- Copied over TacticalOps.ini to Default.ini and User.ini to DefUser.ini
- Cleaned up Tactical Ops.ini as if it where a clean install.
- TO 3.4
- OpenGL Renderer v3.5
- SuperTeam KeyBinder v1.4 TO3.4 Edition
- TO 3.5
- OpenGL Renderer from 3.5 Patch
- SuperTeam KeyBinder v1.5 TO3.4+3.5 Edition
Changed_or_Removed_Files.zip - Added as backup
Included in the Extra folder is a Changed_or_Removed_Files.zip that includes all deleted or altered files since a clean TO install for both TO340 and TO350.
You can use it in 3 ways.
- Manually select and copy over files you want.
- Make a 100% Untouched and Default TO install: Copy over both TO340 and TO350 from Changed_or_Removed_Files.zip over /Tactical Ops/ to make it a 100% Default and Original TO Install (For this method i advice to delete both TacticalOps.ini and User.ini in TO340/System and TO350/System after copying so it uses Default.ini and DefUser.ini)
- Make a Clean and Default TO install with fixes without cleaned files: Copy over both TO340 and TO350 folder from TO-AOT-v340-v350 and paste them over the TO340 and TO350 folders from the Changed_or_Removed_Files.zip then use those files as your TO Install.
What's New in Version v3.4+v3.5 + Quick Join See changelog
- Changed the TO-Launcher.exe with the Tactical Ops Quick Join.exe Tool by -(V)(V)-
Some people had issues with running the TO-Launcher.exe, the old TO-Launcher.exe is still included in Extra/TO-Launcher.zip
- Enabled DirectInput back on as default and disabled Surround Sound after some feedback. Customize them in the Settings Menu.
- Added a Removed_or_Changed_Files.zip in the Extra Folder that contains all Deleted or Changed files that have been made since original TO installation for both TO340 and TO350
(Renderer files, Default .ini's, Server Files, Setup Files, Readme files etc..)
- Removed GenericAudioSubSystem lines from TacticalOps.ini since i found out its not even included with the game. (Same as previously removed unknown Xdrv.Driver lines)
The game was running on the Galaxy Audio System all along. Removing the GalaxyAudioRenderer and setting the GenericAudioSubSystem will crash the game since it then has no Sound Renderer.
The TacticalOps.ini is smaller and cleaner then ever before. If you desire you can use clean and untouched .ini's from Extra/Removed_or_Changed_Files.zip
- Removed /Web/ Folders and some left over .txt's that are all included in the Removed_or_Changed_Files.zip
If you notice any issues, problems or have suggestions for the download please comment below.