This is the archive of the old Tactical Square. Click to go to the live site.
Sign in to follow this  
joeycracknl

Mouse Smoothing / Mouse Acceleration

joeycracknl    50
joeycracknl

Hey guys, what are your settings in Tactical Ops?
Mouse Smoothing activated?
DirectInput activated?

I have tried many things:
- Windows XP, Windows 7, 8, and 10.
- Various Mouse Fixes like the MarkC Mouse Fix (Windows Registry File)
- Disable Enhanced Pointer Precision in Windows Mouse Settings
- Set Mouse Speed to 6/11 in Windows Mouse Settings
- (Various PC from Pentium 4, Core2Duo to i7 4790k)

No matter what i try, TO allways feels like the mouse is in a puddle of water.
Sometimes its negative mouse acceleration, sometimes positive and sometimes
its just feels like a smoothed out mix.

I really like TO, it will allways have a special place in my heart.
It just sucks that it has so weird mouse movement and that makes it
really hard to play it. I know its just a game for fun, but it sucks
the game not doing what you tell it too.

How do you guys experience this? Anybody has any solutions for it?

I have searched allot on the internets, lots of people complaining about it
allthough mostly for UT99. But there is no fix to be found anywhere.

Thomas    312
Thomas

A similar issue has been described in this topic:

Have a look there for possible solutions, if none of them resolves your problem just post here again and we'll try to figure out what's going on :)

joeycracknl    50
joeycracknl

Thanks for your reply.

In that thread only 2 possible solutions are posted, with both do nothing.

1.  Set MouseScale=0.600

All this do is change the GUI Sensitivity (Graphics User Interface) the speed at what the mouse moves in menu's.

2. Delete User.ini and TacticalOps.ini

This also does nothing, as i have tried on a Clean Install of TO v3.1.9, v3.4.0 and v3.5.0 all have

the symptoms.

Example of UT99 Mouse acceleration google search

This proves that even on default settings, wether it be UT99 or TO, they all suffer from Unreal Engine Mouse Smoothing.
There are 100's of threads on 100's of websites, some say a newer OpenGL renderer fixes this problem.

Sadly TOST on TO v3.4 doesnt accept any newer renderer then OpenGL Renderer v3.4 or you will get kicked.

If Tactical Ops is the only game you play, you will get used too it, work with it.
Sadly i play a mix of different FPS games, and always match my sensitivity on any game.
(By using the amount of centimeter needed for a 180 degrees turn)

Edited by joeycracknl

Thomas    312
Thomas

Try to use this OpenGL driver and see if it makes any difference: OpenGLDrv.dll

kimoomik    66
kimoomik

can u upload a few seconds when u move ur mouse? maybe u only feel this, even when i dont played to for a while it feels strange

joeycracknl    50
joeycracknl

Well over The last few days i did some testing.

I work at a plastic production/recycling company and made a template that would fit my mouse, so I could only move it horizontally.

Settings used:
Windows Enhanced Cursor Precision disabled
Windows Mouse Speed 6/11 setting
TO Direct Input enabled
TO Mouse Smoothing disabled

OpenGL renderer used:
Default TO Release CD Opengl Renderer
Updated UT Opengl Renderer's v3.4, v3.5, v3.6 and v3.7 (One posted here in thread was v3.5)

(It seems to me Tactical Ops only uses OpenGL for the graphics rendering, the input and network etc is all handled by DirectX)

Method:
I'd set my mouse to 400dpi and 2000dpi and tested the sensitivity needed so my mouse could do a exact 360 degrees turn within my plastic template.

Crazy enough there is no positive or negative mouse acceleration applied and cursor ends on the same spot every time.

Eventhough there is no acceleration, there is some type of smoothing applied, when moving the mouse in diagonal lines it feels therr is not "1 to 1 tracking" or "Pixel accuracy".

There for I assume that there is some Mouse Smoothing applied even though it's disabled in settings and even Direct Input is enabled.

Ow well i guess in the end it's better to have some micro smoothing then positive or negative mouse acceleration ^^.

(If the same centimeter for 360 is used in cs1.6, with Raw Input enabled, and Mouse Smoothing disabled you can feel its a night and day difference though in that game)

kimoomik    66
kimoomik

i dont think its the renderer, otherwise the whole game is laggy...

u already watched on ur fps while playing?

as example sometimes when i shoot i loose 40-50 fps, but its still over 100, so its enough... as long ur fps are over 60 u should feel no lags

and u already tried to play with one proc? maybe that fix ur problems

joeycracknl    50
joeycracknl

My pc used to render Tactical Ops with a 4-digit fps number anywhere from 500 to 2500+

(I7 4790k 4.7ghz / 4.5ghz cache / 16gb ddr3-2600 / gtx 970 @ 1525mhz core / 1900mhz memory)

This high inconsistent fps is also what speeds  and slowers down the game uncontrollable. Therefore I limited fps to 100fps to have smooth gaming experience.

I also tried limiting the game to 1 CPU thread and also tried disabled power settings like C States and IntelSpeedstep.

I think the problem is in the way the engine handles mouse input.

Back in windows xp era and before, every windows had a different mouse smoothing algorithm. Games would have to use a opposite algorithm to make the mouse track 1 to 1.

Perhaps with newer windows version it results in this weird behaviour.

TO's Direct Input seems to behave very different then games with Raw Input setting.

(If you Google ut99 mouse smoothing you will see so many people complain, I doubt its a combination of pc parts, settings and software)

kimoomik    66
kimoomik

i never had a problem like this, but i always used amd processors even with xp i had no problems, atm i use 7
u already reinstalles ur mousedriver(s)?
in other case i have no idea atm

joeycracknl    50
joeycracknl

Found the solution, turns out Swap Interval was set to default of -1 on my config.

By setting it to 0, the strange mouse smooth behavior i experienced is disabled.

Found it while searching the problem on my phone on some ut99 forums, sadly cant remember the source.
It was a thread about ut99 mouse smoothing.

If experiencing the same go check it out.

swapinterval.jpg

Also while lately i was playing with DirectInput: Enabled MouseSmoothing: Enabled i find it better now with MouseSmoothing: Disabled but with the change of SwapInterval from -1 to 0. Maybe its all placebo, but its said it should be on 0 so why and how it came on -1 im puzzeled about.

Edited by joeycracknl

Sign in to follow this