This is the archive of the old Tactical Square. Click to go to the live site.
Sign in to follow this  
joeycracknl

Making TO grow with YT Channel

joeycracknl    50
joeycracknl

Hey guys, as many of you may know i created a channel called the "Tactical Ops Channel" on YouTube. I want to ask again if people are perhaps interested in helping put more footage on the channel so it can grow and help reach more players. The idea behind was to create a channel on youtube, where if anybody searched a TO related keyword either the channel or the video shows up in the search result with direct download links to the game where the video acts as proof it works and is still played online. It also has links to this forum in the description.

Its working pretty good as it has about 75+ subscribers and 7000+ views, i dont exactly know who all these subscribers are but that its a great way to (re)connect to players, since YouTube is most likely the case people would search that type of stuff. (I beleave as most TO players are older, they dont use their social network stuff for things like old games but i could be wrong)

I dont really feel as the owner of the channel, eventhough i am the only one who uploaded too it so far, while Floid is also admin, it really feels like a open community thing. I asked it in the chat before it but just disseapears so i decided to make a thread for it.

Since we have 2 Channel Managers now i think for now a maximum of 5 is best, beside the way for anybody to submit footage on google drive.

Channel Admin/Manager: Anybody with a google account could be made a Administrator and have the freedom to upload, rename, etc manage the account.

Alternative way to submit footage: I could make a Google Drive account that has 15GB storage and make that public to people here. After converting Fraps Footage to x264 with VidCoder its possible to make a 20-25min 1080p 60fps video file. This perhaps a good idea?

(I will then periodicly update the video with the description text and video thumbnails)

Link to Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCC4e9_LuCVaURZh7dntswWw

------------- How i see the youtube gets people to download -------------
Beside the download here in the download section, i also have a 7-Zip and Zip version on Google Drive, Mediafire, OneDrive, Dropbox and Mega. These links can only be found in the Video Description and on TacOps.tk, but you can only get on TacOps.tk form the YouTube channel.

So 10 Download Links in total, and 2 of them (The 7-Zip and Zip on Mediafire)  have 209 Downloads since 5th of March 2016. So that 209 is only a potential of 20% of total downloads since 2 months. (Beside the 125+ Downloads here) So that is easily a potential of 1000 times the Fixed TO package is downloaded in 2 months.

------------- Footage, Video and Audio Information -------------

Types of footage:
Full round / Map Gameplay of 20 Minutes
Part of a full round / Map Gameplay
Clan War / Fun War footage
Clips or edited footage (Highlights, funny moments etc)

Video Guidelines
- Minimum of 720p or 1080p video resolution of the file you upload. (You can upscale footage)
- 60FPS, alltough 30fps is also fine.
- Footage not recorded with full or too high brightness ingame, or has to be changed afterwards with software but its near impossible to tweak this with brightness and contrast.

Audio Requirements:
- For optimal nostalgia it would be best if you can record with ingame music, not required. (Forget this myself half the time)
- Try to not record with above 30% Windows sound volume or the footage will be extremely loud (can also be changed with software afterwards)

------------- Software i use -------------
Fraps: There are other programs that can record OpenGL like Bandicam but it gives inferior quality and is more taxing on the hardware then Fraps. Fraps does give huge files sadly.

Vidcoder: After recording simply convert the Fraps files with VidCoder (Modified version of Handbrake). You can upscale the footage, change aspect ratio etc to make it a 1080p 60fps file with small size. (I convert 1024x768 or 1280x1024 4:3 to 1080p 16:9 60fps with about 75000kbit/s constant bitrate. This results in a YT ready file about 10% of the size, with allmost identical quality)

Example of Quality Difference:
Raw Fraps (Forced RGB) 1920x1080 110GB 60FPS file: watch?v=_wuspKPjzrU
Vidcoder 1280x1024 upscaled to 1920x1080 10GB 60FPS: watch?v=dXJQ7Gw90kw

While typing this i also remember Thomas saying he could potentialy make a upload system from the tactical square website, perhaps that also a thing we can do?

Let me know your thoughts, suggenstions, opinions etc or other idea's. Imo it would be great if we can get more of the TO Community participating in this.

Edited by joeycracknl
Typo's

joeycracknl    50
joeycracknl

Hey man saw you sent me a PM about what would be the best way to get footage on the TO Channel,

Best would be if you have a google account (email adress) and send it to me in a PM, i then invite you as channel manager from then on you can upload/change/remove etc.

Basicly when logged into YT you can simple change to the "Tactical Ops Channel" account as if it were your own.

If you would upload video files to it, i could add a thumbnail and add the video description with download links etc.

Nice video btw ^_^

Edit: Also channel is non monitezed, Only 1 video has ads because of copyright strike from music...

Edited by joeycracknl

kimoomik    66
kimoomik

btw @Thomas whats about @Morin? he would have time for a edit? when my new pc is ready i would cut a few scenes and make them ready for a edit, i even will edit it but think the edit from morin will look better as mine 
someone else has experience with editing fragmovies?

Edited by kimoomik
spelling mistake

joeycracknl    50
joeycracknl

Frag movies take allot of time and i dont think its worth that at this point.

You would need to go thru multiple demo's to record potential good clips, then edit all them clips into one whole. Not something you do in a few hours and will take a few days.

It might sound super amateur, but the 2012 edition of Windows Movie Maker is quite a nice tool for the editing noob lol :P
(Atleast i used it once for a highlights video, i tried to use more complex software packages but they just take too much time to get to learn them)

Anyway if you have some gameplay from like a full or half round, that would be perfect footage for channel.

joeycracknl    50
joeycracknl

Thomas, previously you said you perhaps could integrate a upload system on Tactical Square to upload to the YouTube channel right? That still maybe a thing?

Id be willing to make you or the main channel owner if that might make it better.

I created channel and website/filearchive (tacops.tk) to preserve Tactical Ops, since there are no ads on website and channel is non-monitized you can see its not for personal gain, all for the community and the game itself.

Edit: I really thought some of the TO Pro's would love to show off some insane gameplay, but it seems there is like 0 interest and everybody  just wanna play ^_^

Edited by joeycracknl

federico    23
federico
14 hours ago, joeycracknl said:

Thomas, previously you said you perhaps could integrate a upload system on Tactical Square to upload to the YouTube channel right? That still maybe a thing?

Id be willing to make you or the main channel owner if that might make it better.

I created channel and website/filearchive (tacops.tk) to preserve Tactical Ops, since there are no ads on website and channel is non-monitized you can see its not for personal gain, all for the community and the game itself.

Edit: I really thought some of the TO Pro's would love to show off some insane gameplay, but it seems there is like 0 interest and everybody  just wanna play ^_^

I have a lot of demos on my computer... but I need a program that helps in watching these ; " demoplay " in TacOps is orrible and would take a lot of time to watch a whole match :(

joeycracknl    50
joeycracknl

No matter what i try i cant play demo's, on clean TO install with 3.4patch, different renderers, files in cache etc.

I have given up demo's, i just Fraps when i wanna record a game, convert it and upload it. Then later on after a few normall gameplay's i make a highlight video with some music etc.

$inergy    19
$inergy

I've got plays.tv which was installed automatically on my pc because of the graphics card I think. But it's very userfriendly...

To select good parts is very easy + I've noticed it also records teamspeak if you are playing a war (which might give some added value)

Edited by $inergy

Sign in to follow this