This is the archive of the old Tactical Square. Click to go to the live site.
Sign in to follow this  
kimoomik

M5a97 R2.0 +Fx-8350

Question

kimoomik    66
kimoomik

anyone know if this board needs a bios update before u can use the fx-8350?

8 answers to this question

Thomas    312
Thomas

There are multiple options to find out what BIOS version is currently on your board's flash memory:

1. Within the operating system itself, using a tool like AIDA64
  2. Simply by going into the BIOS menu. The version will likely be listed somewhere on the screen, usually at the top

sp33dCore    16
sp33dCore

Well thomas is the emperor of this kind a shit, he probably knows best :P

kimoomik    66
kimoomik
6 hours ago, Thomas said:

The AMD FX-8350 is supported since BIOS version 1006 for this board.

Source

i already know since which bios version, but i cant find nowhere which board with which bios shipped from the factory
and this idiots shipped the wrong ram, now i cant use my new pc =D

kimoomik    66
kimoomik
8 minutes ago, Thomas said:

There are multiple options to find out what BIOS version is currently on your board's flash memory:

1. Within the operating system itself, using a tool like AIDA64
  2. Simply by going into the BIOS menu. The version will likely be listed somewhere on the screen, usually at the top

even that is not new for me,  i dont want  as first removing my old processor etc. would be too cumbersome
hope i can find any guy which have this board and can tell me whats the standard bios on this board
if i really need a update i think i send it back with the ram and let make them this update for 8 € ^_^
and the guarantee is not lost (Y)

joeycracknl    50
joeycracknl

I think it will have compatible bios, manufacterers tend to ship the motherboard with the latest bios released and since both the (cpu & mobo) are on the market for quitte some time now you should be good.

Also you could check in motherboard manual where the bios chip is located, it sometimes has a sticker on it with bios version number.

But if you allready have board why not update bios yourself? I have done it countless times on many pc's and as long as you return to default settings without OC there is little risk involved.

kimoomik    66
kimoomik

read the whole tesxt mate :P
i do not want to get my old dirty processor out and put em in my new board and then put him back in old pc etc. 

joeycracknl    50
joeycracknl

Yea i saw man, but i thought like put in 30minute work to swap cpu's, apply new thermal paste and screw cooler back on and you can enjoy your new CPU :D

Edit:
Your board even supports USB BIOS Flashback i see on Asus website, that means if you put the new Bios Update on a USB Stick, you can even update the bios on the motherboard without CPU or RAM installed. Check Asus's site of the https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A97_R20/

USB BIOS Flashback offers the most convenient way to flash the BIOS ever! It allows overclockers to try new UEFI BIOS versions easily, without even entering their existing BIOS or operating system. It even works without key components such as the CPU and memory installed. Just plug in any USB storage and push the dedicated button for 3 seconds. The UEFI BIOS is automatically flashed using ATX standby power. Worry-free updating for the ultimate convenience!

Edited by joeycracknl