This is the archive of the old Tactical Square. Click to go to the live site.
$inergy

Clanbase-like page

sp33dCore    16
sp33dCore

game stats wont show war results, kd's, teamwins etc.

Peterie    93
Peterie

Indeed, public stats are maybe a nice way to give people a starting ELO but it will never be able to replace the ELO for wars. Gain and loss in ELO should be connected to the ELO of the rest of the players in the match.

Shone    42
Shone

I can do stats like at FFD League we had, its simple (just use microsof excell). It would be nice to form teams and play! 

sp33dCore    16
sp33dCore

wonder how many people would participate, and how many will actualy show up for battles/rounds :o

MARTY    24
MARTY

I have to agree with Speed here (there's a first time for everything). The ESL cup 2 years (?) ago failed miserably, because we had like 4 teams signing up and I basically only played the final (no other matches scheduled). The FFD 1v1 ladder/cup was somewhat a success. However, that also stranded after a few matches and was never finished. Just recently we had the sG anniversary cup. Many teams signed up, but only like 4 matches were played in total..

I like the idea of team rankings/ladder, but recent history tells us that people don't play/care enough for it to work.

sp33dCore    16
sp33dCore

maybe include something like a prize for the winner, idk what though.

just something what makes players turn up for their matches, we got a fair share people talking about this now so ... thinking of something & the rest shouldnt be that hard,

this is the first time that someone agreed with me, lets all kneel down and take a moment to worship the sp33dness ;):D ( im just kidding, fuck you )

Edited by sp33dCore

$inergy    19
$inergy

I don't know what happened in TO-land the past few years, but I think the challenges failed because there is just one (or few) admins, who set up dates and enter scores... (as far as I can understand from what I've read). I think the added value of the clanbase website was that you could join one or more clans, you could challenge teams on the spot (without the timeset being an issue), you had to show screenshots, there is just more interaction which is an incentve in itself.

maybe this system works better...

kimoomik    66
kimoomik

we can create a league here in the forum, should no problem for thomas, he already have done similar things with the stats

MARTY    24
MARTY
23 hours ago, $inergy said:

I don't know what happened in TO-land the past few years, but I think the challenges failed because there is just one (or few) admins, who set up dates and enter scores... (as far as I can understand from what I've read). I think the added value of the clanbase website was that you could join one or more clans, you could challenge teams on the spot (without the timeset being an issue), you had to show screenshots, there is just more interaction which is an incentve in itself.

maybe this system works better...

That's what Apo did last time for the sG ladder: http://sto-gaming.org/p/ebattles/eventinfo.php?eventid=9

We started out with 10-12 3-man teams and ended up with 4 teams and 3 matches played. People just didn't bother or care enough to challenge and play against other teams. 

I'm not deliberately bashing your idea, just been disappointed too many times :P.

Edited by MARTY

Peterie    93
Peterie

Thats why we shouldn't be doing cups. They fail over and over again. It's not the admins who fail, it's just that there are too few people willing to commit completely to the cup that are being played.

Just let people arrange seperate matches and put them in the ELO system.

$inergy    19
$inergy

That's what I meant. People should be in control of their team and their scores themselves. When clanbase was still flourishing, I could enjoy browsing through the website as much as playing the game itself. Similar to what we have with this website.

A cup is just forcing people to make time to play the game. An ELO system, is more freely accessible and independent.

If we start out with a very basic version, it might already work... We can always add new elements if needed.

joeycracknl    50
joeycracknl

How would you make an ELO based ranking system work on TO 3.4?

With the Hackers, Server Crashers, Trolls and Fakers, how do you track the ELO rank to a player?
Would that be IP and Player Name based? One could simply fake a high ranked player, and pull his rank down very quickly.

I know nobody likes to hear this, but i think could only be done properly with TO 3.5 + ESE thanks to its anti fake system.

kimoomik    66
kimoomik

its possible with a second password protected server :P

Shone    42
Shone

JESUS CHRIST GUYS!

Just make teams and register them, each team will have captain or whatever u want to call it, who will be in charge of aranging matches with others, posting sshots and results. League table will be led by one person who will put all the results inside as soon as they are posted in the results section.

Why u have to do everything so complicated?

I did this system with FFD league and it worked pretty well, but as Marty said it ended after some time because of players inactivity.

League, or two groups if there are many teams, is the best choice. As we had at FFD league, 2 groups and then Semifinals after group stage is the best choice imo. 

Set starting date and set knockout round starting date and let teams compete as they want and whenever they want, then at the end of gruop stage, 2 best teams from each group will play semis and so on. If some teams don't play theirs matches just remove em from group and no harm to anybody. ITS SIMPLE!

Shone    42
Shone

League rules:

- Each team must play 2 maps vs. other teams

- Each team need to have home map set before entering the competition

- Every map is count as a different match

- Match contains 12 rounds of first half and 12 rounds of second half.

- League has starting date and date of the end of the group stage, between those 2 dates team captains arrange match times and they have to post screenshots of the match to make it valid

- In case that some team can't play all matches, they will be left at theirs current points count and remain matches will be registered with 12:0 win for theirs opponents

- Playoffs time will be announced after group stage

League setup:

- 2 groups with equal number of teams

- First round group matches

- Second round playoff

Teams:

- Each team must have at least 4 members

- If team has more than 4 players, they can be substitute for main team

- Substitutions can be done at the end of halftime or at the beginning of the match

- Teams must choose theirs captains and before registering

- Each team must set its own home map, which cannot be changed untill the end of tournament

- First round rules:

- Group stage will be played in classic league system

- Teams have to play each other at home and away maps

- Won match equals 3 points for the winning side

- Draw match equals 1 point for both teams

- In case of the same points between 2 or more teams round difference will decide which team will finish at the higher spot

- At the end of the group phase, top 2 teams from each group will advance to playoffs

Second round playoffs rules:

- Teams who finished first in their groups will play vs. teams who finished second in format A1 vs. B2 and B1 vs. A2

- In semifinals both teams will play 2 matches vs. eachother (home and away)

- In case that result is 1:1 after second match, away rounds won will decide which team will advance to the finals

- In final round teams will play 2 maps (home and away) - In case that result is 1:1 after second map, teams will play third map of 13 rounds

This is my sugestion and i think that this is the easiest solution for ours problems. Making a website just for this is wasting of money and time.

$inergy    19
$inergy

As Marty already said, a competition following this format did not last long. Probably because there is a certain pressure on when to play the war. For each team that  does not show, the competition becomes less interesting.

in my opinion I see 2 options:

short term

- We create a page on this forum on which a ranking is being shown at the top (adapted after each war)
every war which has been held is proven by screenshots in the very same forum.
We create an easy way of calculating points (comparable to how football competitions are done although an ELO-type is more fair)

long term

- Option 2 is a simplified clanbase website which fills our needs.

However one other problem should be dealt with first. I only recognise a few players on this forum.... Where are all the other active players?
They should become active on this forum too if we want something like this to work.... So how will we solve this?

Shone    42
Shone

Have you read it whole? I said that captains will arange matches, they will not be limited by dates and time which is setted before. Since the league start, players will be able to arange their matches the way they want to, no one will force em to play when they can't. League will be played at least 3 months so they can find some time to play 5-6 matches. 

This format was good at FFD league, but it fell a part because half of members left FFD and others were inactive. We played more than a half for sure.

sullivaN.    9
sullivaN.

The ffd and sg tournaments were based on players that are active on TO.

If there is any league this summer I think it should be like a reunion. We should focus to contact old players to play a league like in the old days.

$inergy    19
$inergy

I agree Sullivan, I already mentioned something similar in another post, on how to fire things up again....

I believe that older players, who play this game a few times again, get hooked from then on... :)

Floid    11
Floid

I tried it with tko

i had 12 members, an active website

Had a server, played a lot of wars in that short time , i did what i can & you know that also sinergy. but we could try it again

i dont see qhp as a clan just faggots and they never play wars

$inergy    19
$inergy

I know Floid, but I think the website wasn't as active as it should have been. We should have had each other's facebook or what's app. to make communication quicker.

That being said, I think 12 clanmembers is too much, when the community is that small.

To have more competition, clans should only have like 6 members maximum and that's it. Otherwise there is just noone else to compete with, since they are all in the same clan

MARTY    24
MARTY
On 5/21/2016 at 5:10 PM, sullivaN. said:

The ffd and sg tournaments were based on players that are active on TO.

If there is any league this summer I think it should be like a reunion. We should focus to contact old players to play a league like in the old days.

sG tournament was also based on old players coming back (like 2-3 teams consisted of old players only).

On 5/30/2016 at 5:48 PM, $inergy said:

I know Floid, but I think the website wasn't as active as it should have been. We should have had each other's facebook or what's app. to make communication quicker.

That being said, I think 12 clanmembers is too much, when the community is that small.

To have more competition, clans should only have like 6 members maximum and that's it. Otherwise there is just noone else to compete with, since they are all in the same clan

Nice idea, but hard to regulate :D. 

It would also help if we actually had 1 community website. For example, I don't think most older players even know about the existence of this website (I found this website in 2013 for the first time lol). However, they might know sG, FFD, G websites which are pretty much dead and think the game is dead when they visit those.

Edited by MARTY

$inergy    19
$inergy

A few weeks ago I posted the idea of creating a clanbase-like page. Especially since at this point, there is no competition whatsoever.
I enjoy the idea that every night mixed wars are played, and I can tell that many different people like to join in every now and then.

Therefor I decided to start scripting a clanbase-like page (basic version) myself. A week ago I started scripting. Hopefully we will have a workable ladder competition in a few weeks.

I expect it to be a basic version, which allows us to complete with one another again. I cannot guarantee the website will be flawless since I'm learning to script along the way, nor can I post the date I expect it to be finished. (it all depends on how much time I can invest, and how quickly I make progress)

That being said. I think that this will allow us to form proper clans once again.
If this site works, clans of maximum 6 people is an option... Or do you all tend to stick together?

sp33dCore    16
sp33dCore

i like the whole idea for new page etc.

goodluck finding all those clans though ... what clans are left? wAo, FFD, qhp ( wich have some cheaters, but imme drink tea ).

if you can come up with 6 proper clans, i will kneel down before you.

i have all the needed degrees to make a pesky website :D

$inergy    19
$inergy
23 minutes ago, sp33dCore said:

goodluck finding all those clans though ... what clans are left? wAo, FFD, qhp ( wich have some cheaters, but imme drink tea ).

if you can come up with 6 proper clans, i will kneel down before you.

That's why I suggest a maximum of 6 players per clan

btw, sp33dcore are you in a clan already?