This is the archive of the old Tactical Square. Click to go to the live site.
Shone

Maps at "FFD Public" server

CaramelTaart    2
CaramelTaart

it's maybe not the right topic for my comment but here it goes:

I hate when admins switch maps just because they hate it. wait 15 min and return, don't switch it because you can.

Edited by CaramelTaart

kimoomik    66
kimoomik
34 minutes ago, CaramelTaart said:

it's maybe not the right topic for my comment but here it goes:

I hate when admins switch maps just because they hate it. wait 15 min and return, don't switch it because you can.

i totally agree with that in other case we dont need the mapvote...

Thomas    312
Thomas
1 hour ago, CaramelTaart said:

This is very inconvenient indeed. I will be addressing this internally.

ZEE.WONK    133
ZEE.WONK

Reported this yesterday, It's not OK!
Had to play italy (again) so left cuz of it... Shame there is no ability to cancel the seted map xO

kimoomik    66
kimoomik

i thought u can play it only after 8 maps again? or an admin set again italy?

CaramelTaart    2
CaramelTaart

i think admin can set it again, 

kimoomik    66
kimoomik

yes he can, but that says not that it was played on the same server before :D
people switched alot between ffd and sg the last days cause of packetloss

ZEE.WONK    133
ZEE.WONK

Admins can set it again, And it was at FFD server.

sp33dCore    16
sp33dCore

w/e the vote limit it, its awfull...

from time to time ur forced to play afwull maps,

i say its removed asap lmao.

kimoomik    66
kimoomik

still 12 guysvoted, looks so that people dont care about this or they cant handle this thing idk ^_^

CaramelTaart    2
CaramelTaart

:P i think they can't handle it xD

joeycracknl    50
joeycracknl

I think that the TOST Mapvote greatly limits the ammount of maps one can have before it becomes too much. You cant even scroll down the list, and you cant set priority different for different types of maps.

I been testing out some Map Vote mutators from UT99, its possible to disable the TOST Mapvote completely and load up a different, better map vote system.
So far i found 2 that work good, MapVoteUL and MapVoteLA.
Example of how nice map voting we could have:

MapVoteLA v1.1 (This one even works on 640x480 and 800x600+)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6eENJfjixsNTnBnSW1rNUpZRG8

MapVoteLA v2.2 (This only works on resolution larger then 1024x768+)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6eENJfjixsNQW8tbno1SXJGcWs

kimoomik    66
kimoomik

this mapvote sucks, espacilly when u have alot of maps like on ffd :D

joeycracknl    50
joeycracknl

I find the TOST mapvote so annoying that you cant scroll, before you found the map you wanted to vote, the vote is allready over :P

edit:
And you can for example put Fall/Fun maps in a list, so that TO-FallFallFall only has priority of 0.5, this way you can still have those maps in server list, but dont have that example 007-Stack gets played 10x a day, as it would need more votes then other maps.

Edited by joeycracknl

kimoomik    66
kimoomik

then u have the problem that people will leave, when 10 guys vote a map and 6 other for an other and then it change to the map with 6 votes ure pissed on

Peterie    93
Peterie

You would still have too much maps. Agree with kimo, lowering the priority will only make people angry. However, that system does look promising.

joeycracknl    50
joeycracknl

Ok yea havent thought about vote priority potentially agrevating people.

But its kinda the same as people voting mid-game with higher priority then end game votes, this i beleave has lead to a Map winning with less votes, dunno about if it was on FFD Server.

For me the nicest things are ability to categorize maps on types, giving better indication where the map is, instead one giant massive list.

Also you can actually scroll with the side scrollbar, rather then clicking on it and then jumping over maps

Peterie    93
Peterie
16 hours ago, joeycracknl said:

For me the nicest things are ability to categorize maps on types, giving better indication where the map is, instead one giant massive list.

Also you can actually scroll with the side scrollbar, rather then clicking on it and then jumping over maps

I like this part :)

joeycracknl    50
joeycracknl

Here made a small example/concept video yesterday to preview it a bit better https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cy50_aUSp0

Atleast if i was hosting a TO server, id definetly choose either of these map voter over the TOST one.
If you play on UT99 servers you notice how much more varied the played map pool is thanks to these.

Thomas    312
Thomas

Looks very nice indeed.

We can implement this when the map vote results are in. If you guys could help me to make a categorized list of the maps that will remain after applying the map cleanup :)

Thomas    312
Thomas

Why don't you go ahead and post it as an announcement, it will receive a lot more attention that way. :)

One thing to note though: because they are shown on the frontpage, I tend to try to make them a bit more visually appealing (nobody likes an ugly frontpage :P), I'm not sure if there's anything like an image in this case to help with that, but at least a clean looking link will make it look more inviting ;)

joeycracknl    50
joeycracknl

I thought there be over 250 Maps in the FFD Server, this is the complete map list? It "only" 128 Maps :P
Imo this proves since the lack of Scrolling in the TOST Map Vote makes it hard to get a good overview, and vote properly.

There seems to be one ''main'' choice to be made if servers want to use MapVoteUL
- 4 Columns Vote Screen that works on resolutions 640x480 and up
- 8 Columns Vote Screen that works on resolutions 1024x768 and up

I still plan to test some other MapVote Mutators: MapVoteLA, MapVoteX and CacusMapVote
(Even found a vote script that is a NexGen plugin)

But yea you could order map on the Style of map (Official, Mappacks, Fun&Fall, DE+MSG etc)
Or you could order them alphabetical. I guess it depends on the amount and type of maps the server uses.